I got my craft on this past week. I am so grateful for this new fun hobby. Sometimes I just need a little kick to get motivated, and I have now found the place for me :) I am a member of a Facebook group that does craft challenges. Our queue for Thursday was "color". I wasn't sure what this meant, I thought it could mean I need to color something, or something with bright colors. So..... I did a little coloring and A LOT of bright colors!! ha! Which if you know me, I am usually an anti-bright colors or anything flashy kind of girl. This was definitely a step outside my comfort zone, but truth be told... it was a blast! I chose to alter a composition notebook as my project. Now to the Pictures :) I'll explain as best I can as we go on.
I completely forgot to take a before pic.
We all know what a composition notebook looks like right?
Well here is one partially covered in scrapbook paper.
It's the Khloe Lane paper pack from The Paper Studio from Hobby Lobby
I would like to tell you how I measured so neatly and nicely, but I would be a dirty liar if I did. I just tore the paper out of the pack and bent it slightly around the edges so I would have an idea of the size. I then cut about 1/2-1 inch out from that small crease. Then I ATG'd that sucker like crazy. I don't know how you guys are, but I never covered stuff with paper before because... umm ....well..hello?? it's paper. It will come off and tear up, get dirty, look cheap... I could go on ..really I could. I will not though. But with all that being said... I love the adhesives today! They make stuff stick.. like really stick. Also, I got a clear composition notebook sleeve for $.05 at Wal-Mart. Why I didn't buy like 30? I have no idea... still kicking myself. Moving on...Since I had this jacket for my notebook I went for it.
Front cover looking good already!
Next step I covered the back with the same paper as the front. When I cover these I put tape on the inside cover and fold it over to make it look better and hold tighter. You can see that.. in this next picture.
Sorry photo is so dark. This is what I get with a cellphone flash.
Now if the corners were a 90 degree angle, then folding them over would be a cinch, but composition notebooks have rounded corners. I could fold the paper over, but they would be all bunchy. I remembered a purchase I had made on Blitsy. (that link takes you to my referral site. It's not spam or anything, just if you create an account and order, I get credit. Then you get your own link to pass on.)
The Precision File Set by BasicGrey. There's a really cool Youtube video about this set.
Anyway I just filed off the rounded edge and it looks put together now. :) I then added a piece of blue cardstock from the same paper pack. I ran ATG adhesive all down this strip of paper before I put it on. This is something else I didn't measure, just eyeballed since it was going to be folded over anyway.
After adding the blue strip I forgot to take pictures of the work in progress, but I did take final pics. Here's a run through of the steps not seen via picture. The cover needed something , and I thought flowers would be nice. I have some paper flowers that I am pretty sure I purchased on Ebay. They are in a pack of various styles in purples and yellows. I took several of the yellows and colored them with some of my ink pads. One I even made an almost white color. This is where my first "coloring" for that challenge came from. I then punched holes in the center of the colored flowers and added an eyelet to one of them, and a brad (one large one small) to two of them. Then glued them to the cover. This step made the notebook look nice, but it was still missing something.
Hard to believe they were yellow huh? :)
Please ignore the imperfections.
I thought a title might be a nice touch, so I took one of my paper scraps and flipped it white side up. I got out my Martha Stewart Border Punch, the Framed Dots one, and another MS product, the Ornamental Typeface clear letter stamps. I punched the border on the bottom only (the set also comes with a corner punch). I inked the edges with a hot pink ink, and stamped the word "NOTES" in Colorbox "Blackbird" chalk ink. I used a lime green Stabilio pen to fill in the little shapes on the letters. I used a Sakura white "Souffle" pen to put false stitching on the side of the blue spine cover.
To balance the details I added some tabs punched with the We R Memory Keepers TAB punch. I used the file tab version. Then added a little paper to the inside and back cover. (I don't have pictures of that because it was an afterthought)
Thanks for reading you guys! Hope the directions were clear. If you have any questions, or comments, please leave them below. :)